Skip to main content

Toronto Fringe Festival Goes Digital with the Fringe Collective

int(103005)
iPhoto caption: Photo via the Toronto Fringe Festival
/By / May 20, 2020
SHARE

Today, the Toronto Fringe announces the first ever Fringe Collective, a digital offering featuring a number of companies who were to perform at the festival this summer. The collective is described as a “digital experience” that will feature “pre-recorded video, audio, written, and interactive content and will be as unique and creative as Fringe artists themselves.”

When the Toronto Fringe announced the sad but ultimately inevitable news that they would be cancelling the 2020 Fringe Festival for the first time in its history, the company promised to find some way to keep the Fringe spirit alive come July.

The Fringe Collective will take place over the original dates of the festival, July 1-12, split up into four “acts” and hosted online through the Toronto Fringe’s website. Act 1 will be available July 1-3; Act 2 from July 4-6; Act 3 from July 7-9; and Act 4 from July 10-12. Viewers can access the content through Fringe’s “Tip-What-You-Can” model. 70% of the profits will be split equally among the companies participating in the collective, while the other 30% goes towards the Fringe’s administrative costs.

Offered alongside the Collective will be a POSTSCRIPT live series, live-streamed free for any viewer to see, in the spirit of the much-celebrated pop-up patio of the same name, which is a staple of the Toronto Fringe Festival.

“We had a moment after cancelling the festival where we were prepared to just do nothing and wait until next year,” says Fringe Executive Director, Lucy Eveleigh, “but then we realized we still had an opportunity to unite our artists and our audiences in a different and exciting way. It won’t be the same as sitting together and experiencing live theatre but, given the circumstances, we think this is going to be a really special alternative.”

The Toronto Fringe will release a programming guide PDF to the Collective on June 17, 2020 along with more details about the POSTSCRIPT live series.

Mae Smith
WRITTEN BY

Mae Smith

Mae Smith is a former associate editor for Intermission Magazine. She is a lighting designer, props builder, stagehand, and sometimes-critic. Outside of theatre, she is a crafter and a Pisces.

LEARN MORE

Comments

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


/
Production photo of The Inheritance, winner of this year's TTCA for Best Production of a Play, iPhoto caption: The Inheritance production photo by Dahlia Katz.

Toronto Theatre Critics’ Awards announce 2024 winners

This 11th iteration of the TTCAs boasts 19 winners across 14 categories, including a special citation for artistic achievement.

By Liam Donovan
toronto fringe iPhoto caption: Graphic courtesy of the Toronto Fringe.

Toronto Fringe unveils 2024 programming

Toronto Fringe has revealed the programming for its 36th annual festival, featuring 77 shows across 16 venues in the city.

By Aisling Murphy
The 2024 Soulpepper Academy cohort. iPhoto caption: Photo by Dahlia Katz.

Soulpepper Academy reveals music-oriented 2024 cohort

Soulpepper Theatre has revealed this year’s Soulpepper Academy cohort: Alicia Barban, Belinda Corpuz, Ben Kopp, Ruaridh MacDonald, and Haneul Yi.

By Liam Donovan
iPhoto caption: Dora Awards graphic courtesy of TAPA.

TAPA announces 2024 Dora Award nominees

On Tuesday morning, the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA) announced the nominees for the 44th annual Dora Awards, taking place at the historic Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre on Monday, June 24.

By Aisling Murphy
iPhoto caption: Poster courtesy of Ottawa Fringe

Ottawa Fringe unveils eclectic 2024 lineup

Selected by lottery and made up of 50 productions playing a total of more than 300 performances, the offerings include drama, comedy, musical theatre, improv, and more.

By Liam Donovan
iPhoto caption: A graphic for the National Centre for New Musicals at Theatre Aquarius.

Theatre Aquarius reveals inaugural selections for National Centre for New Musicals

Following a request for submissions that drew over 260 applications, the NCNM curatorial committee has selected five works for support.

By Aisling Murphy